Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Vinegar Burns

One of my friends has a sunburn, and I've been reading how a vinegar--particularly apple (cider?) vinegar--bath will help to take the sting out of your burn.  Some of my friends swear by it.  Perhaps one day I'll try it, when it's needed.  I'm usually pretty careful about the sun, I do have fair skin after all, and with a toddler, I tend to carry sunscreen on me all the time now.

The bath got me thinking about another home remedy involving the miracle cleaner, vinegar.  I'm sure you've seen the meme about how vinegar socks helps to bring down a fever.


Last week, my oldest was teething and spiked a high fever that his medicine wasn't bring down.  All he was wearing was a diaper, took out the extra blankets in his crib, tried the cooling bath--it all failed.  So I tried the vinegar socks.  Now I didn't have apple cider vinegar (will be stocking up on that soon enough), all we had was white distilled vinegar.  I was desperate and wanted to give my baby boy relief.  I soaked his socks in half/half vinegar and water.  It worked.  His fever decreased, although we did have to do it twice.  

I was satisfied.  We monitored him all night and his fever never came back.

However, the next day, we noticed that he had a rash around his ankles from where the lip of his socks rested on his leg.  That was the only place he had these marks.  We washed his legs and treated the rash (although looks more like a burn) with neosporin.  It's healing, but it was a bit worrisome.  Didn't seem to bother him, but then he was teething like crazy last week, was also going through a growth spurt, and had his world thrown upside down with the early birth of his little brother.  

I've read that undiluted vinegar can burn your skin, but this was diluted.  So I dunno, perhaps a toddler's skin--my toddler's skin--is too sensitive for vinegar?  

So yes, if you use vinegar on your skin, or around younglings, be sure to dilute it, and try a tiny bit on skin.  I have sensitive skin, perhaps I should've tried it on myself, but like I said, I was desperate and stressed.  We had just been discharged from the hospital and home from visiting my newborn in the NICU.  My toddler spiked a high fever, was miserable, and I just wanted to give him relief.  But in the future, I know better!  Despite that it was diluted, I probably won't use vinegar on my son's skin again, and I'll definitely be more cautious in the future regarding myself and my family.  

If you have a vinegar burn, we're using neosporin due to not having any aloe.  But I've read that aloe's best for treating it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment