Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Ok....How Does This Thing Work?

So I got a new sewing machine from my mom.  It's big one with lots of attachments.  Now, it's been a long time since I've been up close and personal with a sewing machine, but now I'm starting to think that it might just be easier to re-learn hand sewing, lol (I'm going to do that, too--can't take machines everywhere with you!).  This machine looks complicated.  I might need a helping hand learning all of the odds and ends with this thing (it also came with a DVD).  I may ask my mom, but she's already going to teach me how to crochet (as well as how to garden, harvest, canning, and animal fat rendering).  One of my friends knows how to work one of these crazy things, maybe she'll help me?

Until then, I will read the manual and study other materials, as long as my toddler will let me.  But I also got a mini sewing machine as a gift these past holidays.  Looks a lot easier!  Either way, I have to practice on something!  When my grandma died, we were left with a lot of old curtains, so I'm going to practice on that fabric.

A couple of years ago, Hestia pushed me into sewing a doll for her out of felt.  It was crude, but She was satisfied and so was I.  Sewing, no matter the technique or material, is definitely a useful skill to have, be you at home or out in the wilds.  Or heck just out in a public with an embarrassing rip in your pants!  It's a skill that I'm determined to gain this year, along with crocheting.

Aside from a home skill, I want to learn how to make blankets, quilts, gloves, hats, and a variety of other clothes for shelters and charities.  It's been something that I've been wanting to do for a long time, and now I'm finally motivated and determined to fulfill that goal.

And on the magik side, I'm also going to learn knot and sewing magiks, too, when I get better.

Do you have any useful skills to learn or re-learn this year?  What other skills do you think it's important to know for the home and garden?



No comments:

Post a Comment