Sunday, March 1, 2015

Can You Feel It?

It's still freezing and snowy, but I'm feelin that excitement for spring.  With the equinox means renewal. Warmth. Freshness.  Open windows.  Park visits.  Cleaning!  Out with the old!

Now, of course, I often clean my home; usually before sabbats and holidays, we do a deep cleaning, especially when guests are expected.  But within those three days that I celebrate the Spring Equinox, I do some seriously deep cleaning.  I'm not scrubbing the base boards with a toothbrush and baking soda by any means, but it's the most intense cleaning of the year.  It's usually exhausting, but well worth it.

Then I came across this on my Spring Equinox board.


Why not dedicate a month to cleaning?  Be easier than doing it on within 2-3 days.  And with the kids getting older, I can dedicate more time to spring activities with them.  Course, with little ones, cleaning can become counter productive, too, but ya gotta know how to time it and how to not get angry with your toddlers and babies, because they're helping, learning, and playing.  But yeah, definitely wait until nap time or bedtime for serious cleaning.  

Clean for 20-ish days, then drop off donations during the Spring Equinox.

The only problem is, when I get started, I don't stop until it's done.  I like to work room-by-room, too.  But maybe that's where the Challenge will come from?  It would be nice to also have energy for cooking the sabbats meals, too!

Man, this month would be a perfect time to paint the walls, too...well, symbolically.  Might be best to wait for a warmer sabbat so we can have the window open.

Here's my own little list:
  1. Cleaning Pantry
  2. Bathroom Cabinets and Sink
  3. Toilet and Tub
  4. Bedding Cabinet
  5. Laundry Room (Hubby) / Basement (Me)  Sucks because our basement ceiling is low and we're both quite tall.  We use our basement for laundry, but the basement is huge!  I want to turn it into a larger food and supply pantry, also a place to keep our 72-hours packs when I make them (emergency kit, first aid kit).
  6. Food Pantry, Cabinets, Counter tops, and Sink
  7. Refrigerators and Deep Freezer (top, bottom, sides, insides)
  8. Oven
  9. Playroom (Clean and sort the toys)
  10. Art Cabinet and Bins
  11. Holiday Decorations
  12. Living Room (Dust, Sort DVD's, Sort CD's)
  13. Boy's Room (Mattresses, closet, clothes)
  14. Shrines, Altars, Magikal Cabinet
  15. Broom Closet (transition to a coat closet)
  16. Book Shelf
  17. Our Room (put away laundry, mattress, dressers, closets)
  18. Yard and Garage
  19. Windows (Outside, inside, sills, blinds, curtains)
  20. Floors (Sweep and mop floors and under furniture)
I'm guessing that this will change...a lot.  I may just fail this challenge, lol, but at least my home will be clean.  Spring clean.  Hestia clean.

Some Magik Cleaning Tips:
  • Sprinkle your carpet with any of the below (being aware of allergies, children, and pets), and vacuum it up:
    • Salt
    • Salt and Pepper
    • Black Salt (ash from a protective herb and sea salt, this is just one blend)
    • Baking Soda and any cleansing, harmony promoting dried herb like sage, rosemary, lavender, etc.  Leave the mixture on your carpet for 15 minutes and vacuum.  
  • Add to your mop water/window wash:
    • Salt
    • A bit of sage
    • Rosemary
    • Vinegar
    • Lemon oil/juice (i wouldn't suggest putting this on your windows)
    • Chinese Wash

No comments:

Post a Comment