Sunday, May 24, 2015

Hearth Keeper & Domestic Witchery

 Hearth Keeper and what it means to me being one. 

As stated in another post, when I found the term "Hearth Witch" and was intrigued.  It sounded like something that might be up my alley.  I did some research and found some information, learning from One Hippie Witch's old blog, The Domestic Witch, that the difference between a Hearth Witch and a Kitchen Witch is that Hearth Witches work with Deities having to do with the Hearth, Home, and Family.  Also that the home is sacred, not just a room or a spot for an altar, as well as your actions (Hearth vs. Kitchen).

I was like, Hey I work with a hearth deity!  I nerded out.  Thought long and hard, digested the information that was in that article, reflected and such.  I decided to separate Hearth and Witch to better suit my belief system, until I eventually came to Hearth Keeper (Pagan) and Domestic Witch (explanatory). 

I think the reason why it took me so long, was because I felt that the terms were pretty self explanatory, how do I turn this into a longer post?  But then I'm sure some feel that Hearth Witch is self explanatory, too, and I was pretty stumped about it. 

Here are my interpretations of what it means to be a Hearth Keeper and a Domestic Witch.  I've been thinking long and hard about this for a while, so hopefully what I have makes sense. 

Hearth Keeper
Hestia, the Goddess you all know..probably, as I can't seem to write two blogs without mentioning Her.  She's a Goddess of the Hearth, Home, and Family.  She also taught people how to build homes, including Her in architecture.  It's all a big deal to Her. 

I am a follower of Hers, been for 20+ years.  My path has been down many forks, some dead-ending, others continuing, forking off into others with the same story.  From a kid learning the basics and foundation to a woman who's pretty comfortable with her Pagan and Magikal paths.  I'm a SAHM, so I feel it's only natural that I became a Hearth Keeper and Domestic Witch. 

My home is one of Hestia's temples.  It's my duty to care of it, myself, my family, and my guests.  To keep the atmosphere comfortable, harmonious, and healthy.  I honor Hestia everyday with my actions, thoughts, and give Her offerings and such.  I just try to live as best as I can, by following Her example and lessons...minus that virgin thing, clearly.

I am the Keeper of the Temple, of this Hearth.  And that's what it means to me.  Short, to the point.  Very uncharacteristic for me. 

Domestic Witch
Let me copy and paste here, "I'm a SAHM, so I feel it's only natural that I became a Hearth Keeper and Domestic Witch."  I've done a lot of study and practice in my years, focusing on the elements, the Mother Earth, Father Sun, Sister Moon; on healing, on ritual, on moon magick, tool crafting, herbal magik, spirit work, divination, protection magik, poppet magik, meditation, Ancestral work, various traditions, and the list goes on and on.  Some of these things I still do, they're still part of my practice, but I'm not as focused on them anymore.  Depending on how long you've been reading me, I used to do monthly posts about each Lunar Month, complete with pictures of that month's altar/shrine.  I also went through my 'Blessed Be' and 'Love and Light' stages, as well as my hypocritical, judgmental, hateful and fluffier than a Angora rabbit stages, too.  It's all part of the journey. 

As a SAHM, my focus has shifted and evolved to home and family.  That's my focus now.  Keeping the home and property, caring for my loved ones, and thus working magik that focuses on these important aspects of my life. 

I used to call myself a Kitchen Witch, as many of you might recall, but I felt that was limiting.  So I added Hedge Witch (Shamanism and Witchcraft) (or whichever one came first...).  Felt right...but still limiting.  Domestic Witchraft, as I've found, incorporates all or a little of the domestic crafts: Kitchen, Hedge, Green, Cottage, etc. 

I like labels and I don't like limits.  Domestic Witch works.  Hearth Keeper works. 

As I get older, especially as the fledglings start leaving the nest, my path more than likely will shift again.  Who knows what the future holds for me?

(Also posted on Book of Mirrors and on Witchbook.net)

PS, The Vestalia is coming up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment