Wednesday, July 29, 2015

First Harvest Is Nearly Upon Us!

Also know as Lughnausgh (I can never spell it) or Lammas (loaf mass).  Basically, it's a time of harvest--reaping what you've sown and rewards for diligence and dedication.  This can be a spiritual reaping, too. Or celebrating Lugh.  I never did, so I don't know what goes into Lughnausgh.

Some folks see the harvest as a time of death.  Not me, not really.  Well, yes and no.  In terms of crops, many do die for the harvest, and many more are used or eaten, too.  I don't necessarily see that as death.  It is, but it's for life.  We're nourished by the sacrifice.  Circle of life and all that.  Like with any animal, I treat the plant with respect, making it's sacrifice as painless as possible.  Because as an Empath who's sensitive to plants, I can tell you, they do feel pain and fear.  Maybe it's an emotional or a chemical thing, I dunno.  All I know is that I can feel a tree's pain and fear, or what I perceive as such, when it's damaged or chopped up.  It's not a pleasant feeling.  Like animals, I try to make the experience as easy as possible, then treat the spirit with respect from beginning to end. 


Yes, many crops do die for the harvest, but their spirit lives on to sustain us.  Then that energy is recycled into the earth to give new life.  It's a time for rewards, to give thanks for sacrifice, and to celebrate life.


Having lost a good friend a week ago, I will also be reflecting on death, for her and myself.  I already understand and accept death, so I have no fear of it (thanks to my work with Anubis and Turkey Vulture).  I spend a great deal of my life grieving over the baby I lost in 2011.  I also do Spirit Work and Ancestral Veneration.  Death is a large part of my life (so is healing and coping).  On the long drive to Hester Fest, I'll be using that time to reflect on Death, Sacrifice, and Bat (a recent messenger). 


On Saturday, I've got a lot to do, but it is the beginning of the Harvest Season (to me), so I have a few months until Winter.  Here's my To Do List:

  • Harvest my rosemary, lavender, and white peony roots.
  • Bake bread
  • Offerings to Father Sun, Ceres and to the Land Spirits.
  • I'm going to my Uncle's for Hester Fest.  Hester Fest is a party honoring my late grandmother.  Every summer she threw what became known as Hester Fest at her house, and my uncle is continuing that party legacy.  I'll be partying it up with lots of family and friends.  As well as drinking in a friend's honor, in Dionysus' honor, for Ceres, Father Sun, and celebrating the harvest!  We have to be there kind of early, so I don't know how much I'm going to get done first.  
  • Celebrating Dibella and Sister Moon!

Doesn't seem like a lot to do, but....Hester Fest is going to take up a lot of my Saturday, and so is the driving.  At least I don't have to cook!  Although I might bring some wine, as is tradition in my family, and Ceres and Dionysus will enjoy it, too!


What are you planning for the Blue Moon and Harvest/Lammas/Lughnasagh?


(also posted on Pagan Place)


No comments:

Post a Comment