Thursday, July 30, 2015

Why I Don't Use "Lughnasagh" or "Lammas"

I use neither. I prefer using First Harvest, instead.  

I don't celebrate the Wheel of the Year, at least I don't use that term.  Wheel of the Year is a term that I strongly associate with Wicca, it's the only path that I've seen it used, or at least it's the first one that I've seen used. Not saying that some Non-Wiccan Pagans and Witches aren't using that calendar, but I don't. I'm not Wiccan, so there's no point in me using a wheel for their sabbats.  

I don't even use the same sabbat names. Because I'm not Wiccan, and given that most of the terms used--from my understanding--are Celtic in origin, I don't follow a Celtic Path. I barely have Celtic elements. So why am I using Celtic sabbats and meanings? They hold no meaning to me. I don't follow those Gods or Spirits. Heck, I've only recently renamed October 31st. For the longest time, I didn't know what else to call it, other than Samhain. I didn't want to just use Halloween. Halloween is secular and I still love it, but I also celebrate that day for spiritual reasons. Given that it's a major day of my practice in terms of Ancestral Veneration, I decided to call it Ancestor's Day (it was Third Harvest, but I didn't really like that name).

I used to use Lammas, but eh, I don't anymore. It means "Bread mass" or something, and this harvest isn't just about grains. It's about harvesting all/most summer grown crop. And I feel, until I really begin to have my own backyard farm and understand other seasonal harvests, August 1 is the First Harvest, until Thanksgiving, or what I call the Last Harvest.

I know that Lammas is also related to Christianity, but I don't have a problem with that. My focus of August 1st, isn't just on grain or grain deities. I do use May Day instead of Beltane, um but it actually doesn't have anything to do with the Christian May Day. Back in college, we had a huge spring celebration called May Day, on May 1st. Since I was already celebrating that day, I went with the name. It's still a celebration of fertility and life, but without the Wiccan and Celtic elements.  

Gotta find and do what works. If it doesn't hold meaning to you, then what's the point of observing it? Don't just celebrate a day just because it's custom or someone else says so. Even if you are of that path and trad, you can still examine the sabbats and see what and if they hold meaning to you. If not, try putting another spin on it. Find what works. Or just don't. Celebrating or not celebrating doesn't make you any more or less of a Pagan or Witch.

I have a Christian friend who doesn't celebrate Christmas or Easter. She's still a good Christian.

Just something to think about. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment